This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4743 / 51°28'27"N
Longitude: -0.0354 / 0°2'7"W
OS Eastings: 536537
OS Northings: 176864
OS Grid: TQ365768
Mapcode National: GBR K6.V1N
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.B6MN
Entry Name: Goldsmiths' College
Listing Date: 12 March 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193404
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203342
Location: Lewisham, London, SE14
Electoral Ward/Division: Brockley
Built-Up Area: Lewisham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Hatcham St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
4424 LEWISHAM WAY SE14
TQ 3676 7/D15
Front section 1844 by John Shaw. 3 storeys, 16 windows. English
Renaissance style. Red brick with stone dressings, ie rusticated quoins,
entablature with modillion cornice, coping to parapet, guilloche moulded
2nd floor band, door and window dressings. Moulded architraves, those on
ground and 1st floor eared, to sash windows with glazing bars. Cornices
and bracketed cills to 2nd floor windows, cornices also to ground floor
windows resting on string; wall below stone faced. Wide recessed side
entrances, under bracketed entablatures, have modern windows. Main entrance
on axis has modern glazed double doors beneath older glazing which fills
head of 2-storey round arch with moulded architrave, impost blocks and
scrolled keystone; the whole framed in Doric order with attached columns
and lions' heads in frieze above. Inscription: "GOLDSMITH'S COLLEGE" between.
Small round windows in spandrels. Achievement of arms on tablet above
entrance. Long returns in similar style have rusticated pilasters at
intervals; and numerous extensions and additions. Garden front of back
building 1905, neo-classical style. 3 storeys. Projecting 5-bay centre
and 1-bay links to 3-bay outer wings. Red brick with stone dressings, ie
frieze and cornice, parapet coping and balustraded centre to parapet.
4 tall pilasters, resting on stone-faced ground floor, define middle bays
and support enriched entablature. Round windows on 2nd floor; 1st floor
blank. Niche, on ground floor axis, framed in carved garlands, as are
2nd floor windows. Lunettes in 2nd floor of links. Other window sashes with
glazing bars under gauged brick arches with stone keys. Stone 1st floor band
supports rusticated quoins at angles, matching pilasters in end sections.
Entrances, 3rd bays from end, have 6-panel double doors under rectangular
fanlights with thick bars; all within eared architrave with triple keystone.
Listing NGR: TQ3653776864
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings