This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4993 / 53°29'57"N
Longitude: -1.1766 / 1°10'35"W
OS Eastings: 454714
OS Northings: 400608
OS Grid: SE547006
Mapcode National: GBR NW7Z.19
Mapcode Global: WHDD7.W9WP
Entry Name: Warmsworth Hall
Listing Date: 5 June 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193489
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334855
Location: Warmsworth, Doncaster, DN4
Civil Parish: Warmsworth
Built-Up Area: Doncaster
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Warmsworth St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
WARMSWORTH LOW ROAD WEST
SE50SW (east end, off)
1/81 Warmsworth Hall
Large house. 1702. For John Battie 2nd. Magnesian limestone rubble with
ashlar dressings, stone slate roof. H-plan; 2 storeys with attic, 2:3:2
bays. Chamfered plinth, rusticated quoins. Central feature of raised and
chancel-rusticated ashlar panel having renewed sash with glazing bars in
eared doorway architrave with keystone beneath carved pediment on consoles.
Other ground-floor bays have moulded sills to similar sashes in plain ashlar
surrounds beneath continuous cornice; bay 2 has part-glazed door and
overlight and together with bay 1 is covered by a later Doric-columned stone
porch. 1st floor: central feature has sash with glazing bars in architrave
with moulded sill beneath open segmental pediment; sashes with glazing bars
to bays 3 and 5; 24-pane sashes to each wing. Cornice to hipped roof with
central feature rising above eaves and having channel-rusticated strips
flanking a keyed oeil-de-boeuf beneath cornice and balustrade. Gabled roof
dormers above bays 3 and 5 and to each wing. Rendered and corniced ridge
stacks to left wing and to each side of the central recess. Left return: 5
bays. Central 6-panelled door-and fanlight with glazing bars in eared
architrave within a stone-columned porch; tripartite sash to bay 1 otherwise
sashes with glazing bars to ground floor and 24-pane sashes to 1st floor; 2
crested rain-water heads.
Interior: stair-hall in left wing has gently inclined wooden staircase with
scroll-bracketed treads, turned balusters and moulded handrail; fielded-panel
dado. At foot of stair an archivolted doorcase; recessed oval ceiling panel
over stair well. Fireplace in entrance hall has iron firebasket in ribbed
iron panel with fluted wooden surround; similar fireplace in original central
entrance hall. In 1668 John Battie (1616-1676) purchased the manor and added
to the existing hall (indicated by increase in hearth tax returns). His son,
John Battie 2nd, (1663-1724) added the present house which Ralph Thoresby,
after a visit in 1703, noted was '.... very pretty for the size, but scarcely
finished ....'; Battie became deputy Lord Lieutenant for the West Riding in
1715 (Holland p.6). Reduced to present size in 1945. Became offices of
British Ropes; undergoing conversion to conference centre adjacent to
Doncaster Moat House Hotel at time of resurvey (1987).
D. Holland, Warmsworth in the Eighteenth Century, 1965
D. Hey, Buildings of Britain, 1550-1750, Yorkshire, 1981, p.81 (plate).
Listing NGR: SE5471400608
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings