History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Alban

A Grade II Listed Building in Wickersley, Rotherham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4196 / 53°25'10"N

Longitude: -1.2817 / 1°16'54"W

OS Eastings: 447834

OS Northings: 391666

OS Grid: SK478916

Mapcode National: GBR MXHW.9W

Mapcode Global: WHDDL.89XS

Entry Name: Church of St Alban

Listing Date: 29 March 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1193491

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336009

Location: Wickersley, Rotherham, S66

County: Rotherham

Civil Parish: Wickersley

Built-Up Area: Rotherham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Wickersley St Alban

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Rotherham

Listing Text

WICKERSLEY CHURCH LANE
SK49SE
(north side)
2/134 Church of St. Alban
29.3.68
GV II
Church. C15 and C19. Ashlar and dressed sandstone, Welsh slate roof. West
tower, 3-bay nave with lean-to vestry in north-west angle with tower, 2-bay
chancel with north organ chamber. Tower: 4 stages, lower 3 stages C15 in
Perpendicular style, upper stage added C19 in same style. Chamfered plinth
and moulded band; pointed-arched door in south side. Offset diagonal
buttresses flank 3-light west window with hoodmould. String courses to each
stage, 3rd stage has blocked belfry window of 2 cusped lights with hoodmould.
Tall C19 upper stage with blocked 2-light west window; north and south
windows of both C15 and C19 belfry stages are louvred. String course with
corner gargoyles and waterspouts beneath embattled parapet with 8 crocketed
pinnacles. Nave: 1834-36. Chamfered plinth. Central bay breaks forward and
has moulded sill band to tall transomed 2-light window with Y-tracery
beneath pointed head with hoodmould; outer bays have similar windows without
hoods. Cornice and parapet with roll-moulded copings rising to peak over
embattled central gable; hipped roof. Added vestry has 3-light mullioned
window. Chancel: 1886. Lower. Blocked south priest's door with pointed
arch and hoodmould; C18 and C19 headstones in wall on right beneath two
cusped 1-light windows with square hoodmoulds having uncarved stops. More
headstones beneath east window of 3 cusped lights with Tudor-arched head
having head-carved stops to hoodmould. Shaped kneelers and gable copings
with apex cross.
Interior: double-chamfered tower arch. Nave windows have hoodmoulds with
head-carved stops; corbels to vaulted aisles rising to central flat ceiling
with gilded bosses. Chamfered, pointed chancel arch. Stained glass: 1880-89
mostly by H. M. Barnett of Newcastle. Monuments: C17 and C18 brasses on
plaque beneath tower. Grave slab in north aisle to Roger de Wickersley
(d1472) and wife Margaret, inscription in early English around family arms;
to north-east of nave are 3 wall tablets to the Yates family of Wickersley
Hall by Smith of Sheffield. Benefactions board beneath tower. The rest of
the C15 church was demolished in 1833.

Listing NGR: SK4783491666

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.