History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Newmarket, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2431 / 52°14'35"N

Longitude: 0.4071 / 0°24'25"E

OS Eastings: 564440

OS Northings: 263272

OS Grid: TL644632

Mapcode National: GBR N9Y.7RW

Mapcode Global: VHJGJ.0WKB

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 28 November 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1193518

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275632

Location: Newmarket, Forest Heath, Suffolk, CB8

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

Civil Parish: Newmarket

Built-Up Area: Newmarket

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Newmarket All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Newmarket

Listing Text

TL 6463 NEWMARKET ALL SAINTS ROAD
(including EXNING)

7/72 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
28.11.50

II


Church. c.1875, by W. Oldham Chambers of Lowestoft, in memory of
Lord George Manners (d.1875). Nave, chancel, north and south
aisles, south-west tower, north porch and vestry. (Conventional
compass points are used here, although the building lies south-
east/north-west). In the late C13 Gothic manner. Flint and
limestone rubble with limestone dressings and parapet gables.
Slated roofs. Triple-lancet east window, numerous small 2-light
windows to aisles and clerestory. North and west doorways of
moulded arch form, with boarded doors having decorative iron
work. The tall nave arcades have round columns with foliate
capitals. Nave roof open with collar-beam trusses, chancel roof
canted and boarded. The 3-stage tower is said to retain fabric
of the tower of the mediaeval church previously on this site; it
appears to have been refaced and refenestrated c.1875. The
chancel was enlarged eastwards c.1881.


Listing NGR: TL6444063272

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.