History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Camoys Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stadhampton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6829 / 51°40'58"N

Longitude: -1.1451 / 1°8'42"W

OS Eastings: 459203

OS Northings: 198588

OS Grid: SU592985

Mapcode National: GBR 901.K92

Mapcode Global: VHCY3.3YHQ

Entry Name: Camoys Court

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 19 August 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1193652

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248350

Location: Stadhampton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Stadhampton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Stadhampton with Chiselhampton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Chislehampton

Listing Text

STADHAMPTON B4015
SU5998 (South side)
Chiselhamptan
13/139 Camoys Court
18/07/63 (Formerly listed as Camoise
Court)

- II

Farmhouse, probably originally a fortified house. Early C14 and C17. Coursed
squared limestone rubble and some chequer brick; old plain-tile roofs with brick
stacks. Double range with garderobe annexe and subsidiary wing. 2 storeys plus
attic. Double-gabled front, with lower range extending to left, has irregular
fenestration, mostly sashes but with a 3-light ground-floor casement to left,
and a leaded cross window with a keyblock flat arch to right at first floor;
gables have small leaded casements. The doorway to right of centre has a canopy
on Doric columns and there is a second doorway to left of centre. The right
return wall has late C19 brick bay windows. The rear of the C14 left range has
an arched window at first floor with 2 ogee-headed lights and a tracery light. A
2-storey block attached to the left rear angle of the range was probably a
garderobe wing and has 2 narrow windows with internal splays. C18 windows to
rear. Double-span roof has a large central ridge stack. Interior: C17 range to
right of through passage has a large open fireplace with a timber bressumer. C14
range has, at ground floor, a longitudinal beam carried on a Samson post with
solid brackets; first floor has the roll-moulded wall plates and tie beams of
the 3-bay wagon roof which is now above a later attic floor. The 2 crown-post
trusses have octagonal posts with the remains of moulded capitals and
roll-moulded 4-way arched braces. The range was probably the solar of a vanished
hall and probably dates from the "licence to crenellate" granted to Sir Richard
de Louches in 1318. The property later passed to Sir Thomas Camoys. The site is
moated.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VII, p.7; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.524; M.
Wood: The English Medieval House, 1965, pp.306 and 380).


Listing NGR: SU5920398588

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.