This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2726 / 51°16'21"N
Longitude: -2.1295 / 2°7'46"W
OS Eastings: 391061
OS Northings: 152616
OS Grid: ST910526
Mapcode National: GBR 1TH.2G0
Mapcode Global: VH97B.18KR
Entry Name: The Court House
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193662
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313655
Location: Bratton, Wiltshire, BA13
Civil Parish: Bratton
Built-Up Area: Bratton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bratton St James the Great
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
BRATTON COURT LANE
11/18 The Court House
Detached house. C15, altered early C17, mid C17. Studded timber-
framing with some brick nogging, partly on stone plinth, thatched
roof with half-hip to left, brick stacks. Hall house with cross
wing. Two-storey, 4-window. Fine gabled timber-framed porch on
stone plinth with diagonal buttresses, turned balusters to sides,
carved brackets, ledged door with 1656 and name WHITAKER carved in
lintel, 3-light cyma-mullioned casement and fire window to left, 2-
light casement to raking dormer, gabled bay to right has 3-light
casements to both floors, 3-light casements to right and cross wing
to right has double planked door to stone basement, 3-light
casement to ground and jettied first floor, half-glazed door to
left return. Right return has square-panelled framing, 2-light
casement to ground floor and two 2-light to first floor, lateral
brick stack. Left return rebuilt in rubble stone.
Rear has single storey brick wing to right, central gable of main
range has 3-light casement to attic, C20 glazed door in porch and
3-light casement to ground floor, timber-framed cross wing to left.
Interior: former kitchen at south end has deep chamfered beam,
large open fireplace with chamfered lintel and bread oven.
Central hall has Tudor arched wooden fireplace surround with
cornice, chamfered beam on post with foliage carving and date 1626
JWD; the initials of John and Dionyse Whitaker, married 1618.
Parlour cross wing of c1600 has chamfered doorcases. First floor
has fireplace over hall with lintel and cornice with arabesque
carving. One full cruck with cambered collar, partly cut by C17
doorway in line with hall stack.
Began as a through passage open hall house during late C15, parlour
wing added, floors and stacks inserted during early C17.
Fine example of timber-framed house in this area, occupied by the
Whitaker family. Manor courts were held here.
(Unpublished records of Wiltshire Buildings Record)
Listing NGR: ST9106152616
Other nearby listed buildings