History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn Approximately 70 Metres North of Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Cholsey, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5804 / 51°34'49"N

Longitude: -1.1593 / 1°9'33"W

OS Eastings: 458352

OS Northings: 187173

OS Grid: SU583871

Mapcode National: GBR 916.V0H

Mapcode Global: VHCYN.VJHT

Entry Name: Barn Approximately 70 Metres North of Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 9 April 1952

Last Amended: 13 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1193669

English Heritage Legacy ID: 247950

Location: Cholsey, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Cholsey

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Cholsey

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Wallingford

Listing Text

CHOLSEY CHURCH ROAD
SU58NE (West side)
2/66 Barn approx. 70m. N of Manor
09/04/52 Farmhouse
(Formerly listed as Barns
north-west and north-east of
Manor Farmhouse)
GV II

Three barns, now linked to form one building. Dated 1815 on tie beam to centre,
reusing material from C15 Cowpers barn. Mixed stone and flint with stone
dressings to left and centre, red brick dressings to right; old plain-tile roof.
6-bay central barn with 7-bay barns to left and right. Paired plank doors to
centre, centre left, centre right, right, and left. 5 openings with plank doors.
Half-hipped roofs to left and right; gabled roof to centre. Curved principal
roof with some reused timber. Cowpers barn was approx. 100 metres long and 17
metres high. The roof was supported on square stone piers. The barn was
demolished in 1815 and material was reused in the construction of this group of
barns.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.3, 1923, p.297; Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.117).


Listing NGR: SU5835287173

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.