History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Katherine

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stadhampton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6887 / 51°41'19"N

Longitude: -1.1446 / 1°8'40"W

OS Eastings: 459226

OS Northings: 199229

OS Grid: SU592992

Mapcode National: GBR 901.5FL

Mapcode Global: VHCY3.3TR9

Entry Name: Church of St Katherine

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1193807

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248370

Location: Stadhampton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Stadhampton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Stadhampton with Chiselhampton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Chislehampton

Listing Text

STADHAMPTON B480
SU5999 (East side)
Chiselhampton
11/129 Church of St. Katherine
18/07/63

GV II*

Church. 1762 for Charles Peers. Rendered walls with limestone dressings; old
plain-tile roof. Rectangular plan with an eastern projection and a western
turret. Walls have chamfered quoins and a stone cornice; the gable parapets are
flanked by large stone urn with gadrooned covers and festooned sides. To south
are 4 leaded arched windows with projecting keyblocks. The shallow projection to
east has a semi-circular parapet. The entrance front has double-leaf panelled
doors, with a wooden architrave and cornice, and a square wooden clock turret
which rises above 2 small scrolls which terminate the gable. The lower stage of
the turret has rusticated quoins and a large painted clock face; the open upper
stage has keyblock arches and clasping pilasters supporting a dentil cornice and
a pointed concave roof. The eastern gable is terminated by a lead urn. Interior;
the roof has a shallow elliptical plaster vault and the south windows are
flanked by pilaster on consoles supporting a dentil cornice. The arrangement is
repeated on the north with blind windows. The east wall has a shallow
segmental-arched recess. The C18 fittings survive complete and incorporate a
fine C17 pulpit with heavily-carved arched panels. The oak panelling in the
sanctuary recess frames the Creed, Decalogue etc. and is ornamented with carved
festoons and Rococo detail below a plain segmental pediment. The turned
communion rails enclose the carved C18 altar table on 3 sides and also return
westwards to meet the high panelled box peers. A western gallery is carried on
wooden Tuscan columns. There are many C18, C19 and C20 wall monuments to members
of the Peers family who owned Chiselhampton House (q.v.). The designer may have
been Samuel Dowbiggin of London who was responsible for the house.
(V.C.H,: Oxfordshire, Vol.VII, p.5; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire,
pp.541-2).


Listing NGR: SU5922699229

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.