History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Stadhampton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6848 / 51°41'5"N

Longitude: -1.1278 / 1°7'40"W

OS Eastings: 460392

OS Northings: 198813

OS Grid: SU603988

Mapcode National: GBR 902.9PK

Mapcode Global: VHCY3.DXM8

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1193931

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248401

Location: Stadhampton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Stadhampton

Built-Up Area: Stadhampton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Stadhampton with Chiselhampton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Chislehampton

Listing Text

STADHAMPTON THE GREEN
SU6098 (West side)
14/163 Church of St. John the Baptist
18/07/63

GV II

Church. C15 and C16. Tower 1737 by Richard Belcher, mason; restored and enlarged
1875 by E.G. Bruton. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; old plain-tile
roofs. Chancel, aisled nave and west tower. Short Cl6 chancel has, on the north,
a plain 4-centre arched doorway between square-headed windows of one and 2
lights with recessed spandrels, shallow cusping and deep casement mouldings; on
the north is a plainer window of 2 arched lights; the 3-light C19 traceried east
window is in Perpendicular style. A quoin at the south-east angle is inscribed
1600. The north side of the nave and north aisle have plain paired lancets of
1875 and a matching entrance door. The C15 north aisle has two square-headed
windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights plus a traceried east window; the north
doorway has a hollow-chamfered arch. All gable parapets are C19. The 2-stage
tower in Baroque style, has a plinth, a moulded string and a solid panelled
parapet rising above a cornice supported on moulded corbels; the corners have
stone urn finials with flame terminals. The top stage has 4 round-arched
openings, with projecting keyblocks, and the western doorway has projecting
imposts and keyblock and is infilled with a smaller C19 doorway. Interior: C15
chancel arch and 3-bay north arcade with octagonal piers. C19 south arch and
3-bay south arcade with square capitals. Plain C19 roofs. C12 tub font. Figures
from two early C15 brasses are mounted on north wall. Late C18 wall tablet, with
carved achievement surrounded by ribbons, is signed "Henry Westmacott". Large
early C18 black marble ledger to John and Margaret D'Oyly has carved shield of
arms. Royal arms of Queen Elizabeth I has a gadrooned frame and retains much
original colouring. C15 parish chest.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol. VII pp. 90-91; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.
776)


Listing NGR: SU6039298813

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.