This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6982 / 51°41'53"N
Longitude: -1.18 / 1°10'48"W
OS Eastings: 456768
OS Northings: 200255
OS Grid: SP567002
Mapcode National: GBR 8ZT.GGT
Mapcode Global: VHCY2.HLJ1
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193957
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248408
Location: Toot Baldon, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Toot Baldon
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Marsh Baldon with Toot Baldon and Nuneham Courtenay
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
8/170 Church of St. Lawrence
Church. Late C12 and C13, restored 1865 by Henry Woodyer. Limestone rubble with
ashlar dressings; plain-tile roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, north transept and
south porch. Chancel is almost entirely rebuilt, and has a 3-light east window
and a 2-light window to south, both C19 in Decorated style, but the lancets to
north and south may be re-set. South transept has a 3-light window with late C13
intersecting tracery. Nave south wall is probably also rebuilt, with
Perpendicular-style windows flanking the porch. C13 west wall has a 2-light
window with Y-tracery between small lancets, and has a rebuilt double bellcote
on the gable. North wall of nave has a Romanesque doorway, a 2-light
square-headed C15 window and a C19 copy. Small C19 vestry extends north aisle.
Interior: chancel contains an elaborate painted arcaded reredos and complete C19
oak fittings including a C13-style screen. North arcade of 4-bay nave has early
C13 stiff-leaf and scalloped capitals; south arcade has moulded capitals. Roofs
are all C19. Stained glass in east window of c.1875 by Harwood of Frome Selwood.
Other windows include 4 of 1890 by J.P. St. Aubyn.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, P.55; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.818-9).
Listing NGR: SP5676800255
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings