This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4381 / 51°26'17"N
Longitude: -0.0483 / 0°2'53"W
OS Eastings: 535750
OS Northings: 172819
OS Grid: TQ357728
Mapcode National: GBR JG.4J4
Mapcode Global: VHGRF.33TW
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 12 March 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193968
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203407
Location: Lewisham, London, SE23
Electoral Ward/Division: Perry Vale
Built-Up Area: Lewisham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Forest Hill, St George With Lower Sydenham, St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
In the entry for:
SOUTH ROAD SE23
4424 Christ Church
TQ 3572 30/237
the Grade shall be amended to Grade II and the description shall be amended to read as follows:
Church, begun 1852 and built in three stages. Designed by Ewan Christian in the revived Decorated
style. Nave, chancel and south aisle 1852-4. North aisles and vestry completed 1862. West tower and
spire completed 1885. Kentish Ragstone with Bath stone dressings. Clay tile roof Plan: west tower and
spire, nave of five bays with clerestory, aisles and south porch; chancel with south porch, north vestry and
organ chamber. EXTERIOR: Tower divided externally into four stages. Angle buttresses at the corners
above a moulded plinth which reach up to the tower. West doorway: moulded arch and plate tracery.
West window of3 lights with trefoiled heads to the main lights and a tracery circle containing 3 trefoils.
Tower: Pairs of two-light openings at Belfry stage with trefoiled heads, and tracery quatrefoils in each
face, the hoods linked by carved foliate stops. Recessed timber louvres. Corbel table above from which
broach spire rises. Four octagonal pinnacles at each corner; tall, narrow lucarnes on principal faces of the
spire. Aisles have 3-light windows in their west walls. The bays of the aisles are marked by low buttresses
and have alternate 2- and 3- light windows. Clerestory windows: each of 3 equal lights with a quatrefoil
above each within a rectangular surround. Chancel:lower than nave. Large 5-light east window with 4
equal lights and taller central light. Circles containing trefoils above side pair of lights, larger circle
containing five trefoils above middle light. South chapel of one bay, with 2-light window and arched
doorway in south wall; 3-light window in east wall. North vestry, 3-light east window. INTERIOR.
The two westernmost bays of nave have had rooms inserted in 1970 by Laurence King. Remaining
arcades have chamfered arches carried on alternate octagonal and round pillars with carved capitals. Arch
braced wooden roof with carved corbels. Floor: stone paviours with red and black tiles at the east end
of the nave. Chancel: raised 2 steps above level of nave and paved. Chancel divided by chamfered arches
from south chapel and north organ chamber. Bare walls following re-ordering of 1970. Fittings: no
reredos or lectern; pulpit 1903; original font on square base with circular oak cover at west end. Stained
glass: east window - 3-lights depicting The Crucifixion, flanked by Christ and Mary Magdalene in the
Garden and Supper at Emmaus, probably by Henry Holiday 1883; other glass - by Powell in the south
chapel, and in the north aisle by Comper, 1936.
SOUTH ROAD SE23
4424 Christ Church
TQ 1572 30/237
Large church by Ewan Christian 1852-4. North aisle and vestry 1862.
Random rubble with freestone dressings. West tower and spire 1885
of coursed rubble.
Nave, aisles, chancel, chancel aisles (the South one shorter) South porch
and West tower with half-octagonal staircase turret on North side. Early
5-bay nave with alternating round and octagonal piers with leafy capitals.
Arch braced wood roof on leafy corbels. Sanctuary panelling, reredos and
stalls 1897. Some stained glass by Powell and comper.
Listing NGR: TQ3575072819
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings