This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9774 / 51°58'38"N
Longitude: -1.4593 / 1°27'33"W
OS Eastings: 437238
OS Northings: 231130
OS Grid: SP372311
Mapcode National: GBR 6S9.XJP
Mapcode Global: VHBZ3.NKDH
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 27 August 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193995
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251999
Location: Swerford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Swerford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hook Norton with Great Rollright and Swerford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SWERFORD CHURCH END
9/183 Church of St. Mary
Church. Late C13. and C15, restored and enlarged 1846 by H.J. Underwood.
3-bay nave and north aisle, chancel, west steeple, south porch and north-east
vestry. Marlstone ashlar and some rubble; lead and Welsh-slate roofs. Slated
chancel has a traceried east window of 1859 in a Perpendicular opening and has,
to south, 2 blocked C15 windows, and a 2-light square-headed window with ogee
tracery and a low transom, below which are 4 small ogee-treaded lights; rubble
walls and low buttresses may be C13. Parapetted ashlar nave has a Decorated
south doorway, with continuous moulding and ballflower ornament plus an old
plank door, sheltered by a late C14 porch with parapet, large gargoyles and a
sundial; south wall has 3 large square-headed 3-light windows of c.1400 with
quatrefoils in the tracery, and above them single-light clerestory windows with
ogee tracery. North clerestory has 2 small C16 windows. C19 north aisle has
trefoil-headed lancets and a 2-light east window with plate tracery. Late C13
ashlar 3-stage tower, with shallow buttresses to the first stage, has cusped
lancets to south and, in the top stage, has cusped 2-light bell-chamber openings
with transoms; broach spire, rising from a cornice with gargoyles at the angles,
is probably slightly later. Contemporary lean-to extension to north has a
trefoil-headed lancet above a small west door. Interior: late C14 chancel arch;
C19 north arcade with octagonal piers; twin arches to tower and its extension of
3 and 2 chamfered orders dying into chamfered responds. Roofs all C19, with
traceried spandrels in nave and aisle. C15 panelled font. Chancel floor, of
black and white marble, may be late C17 and includes many C18 ledgers. Wall
monuments in chancel to Jones family (mid C18) in an architectural surround with
triangular pediment, and to the Travell family (erected 1775) with a garlanded
urn. Fittings all C19 and plain. Hatchnent in nave. Fragments of medieval
stained glass in tracery lights of south windows; C19 patterned east window with
central pictorial panel.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.798).
Listing NGR: SP3723831130
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings