History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Swerford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9766 / 51°58'35"N

Longitude: -1.46 / 1°27'36"W

OS Eastings: 437187

OS Northings: 231038

OS Grid: SP371310

Mapcode National: GBR 6SH.3P2

Mapcode Global: VHBZ3.NL03

Entry Name: Old Rectory

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194004

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252006

Location: Swerford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Swerford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hook Norton with Great Rollright and Swerford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Swerford

Listing Text

SWERFORD CHURCH END
SP3731
9/190 Old Rectory

GV II*
Rectory, now house. Late C17, probably incorporating earlier parts, extended
c.1800. Coursed squared marlstone; Welsh-slate and concrete plain-tile roofs
with ashlar gable stacks. Double-depth plan with added wings. 2 storeys plus
attic and basement. Symmetrical 3-window front of main range, with moulded
plinth and first-floor string, has a central doorway with a triangular wooden
pediment on consoles partly covering a blocked overlight. Windows have flat
arches and contain renewed 18-pane sashes. Stone-mullioned basement windows in
plinth. Left end wall has oval stair windows and a further sash. Rear has
renewed sashes and a central 7-sided conservatory dated 1810 on its lead roof.
Double-span roof has gable parapets with triangular copings and has 3 roof
dormers to front and rear. 2-storey right wing and single-storey kitchen wing to
left are set back from the front and have sashes to rear. Interior: oak dog-leg
stair with heavy turned balusters and moulded handrail; subsidiary winder stair
rising to attic; early C18 panelled drawing room; chamfered beams on all floors;
some heavy plaster cornices; much C18 joinery; remains of moulded stone doorway
in cellar (probably C16).
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.799).


Listing NGR: SP3718731038

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.