This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0434 / 52°2'36"N
Longitude: 0.9521 / 0°57'7"E
OS Eastings: 602545
OS Northings: 242442
OS Grid: TM025424
Mapcode National: GBR SL9.TSZ
Mapcode Global: VHKF7.GW5Y
Entry Name: Deanery Tower
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194031
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277634
Location: Hadleigh, Babergh, Suffolk, IP7
Civil Parish: Hadleigh
Built-Up Area: Hadleigh
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Hadleigh St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1161 CHURCH WALK
TM 0242 3/2 26.4.50.
Built 1495 by Archdeacon Pykeham a former rector. Very fine example of late C15
brickwork. It was originally the gatehouse to the Archdeacon's house
(demolished early C19). It is of red brick with black diapering,
43 ft high, 31 ft wide, flanked at the 4 corners by panelled and embattled
turrets. The turrets on the east side are hexagonal and rise from the
ground level, the turrets on the west side spring from a little way below the
corbel table. The carved and moulded brick chimneys in early C16 style were
added in 1830. All the external brick panelling is decorated with trefoil-
cusped heads. Over the entrance gateway are 2 storeys, the 1st with an
oriel window on west side of 2 lights and surmounted by a brick cornice with
trefoil-cusped work. The room has been used as a library and was panelled
in 1730 by Dean Wilkins. There is a curious painting on plaster above the
fireplace of the Church with the river and hills beyond, executed by a local
artist Benjamin Coleman 1629. There are also 2 paintings said to be by
Canaletto who was a guest of Dean Tanner between 1749 and 1751. A small
vaulted oratory with secret chamber is in the south east turret. NMR photos.
All the listed buildings in Church Walk form a group.
Listing NGR: TM0254542442
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings