This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0792 / 52°4'45"N
Longitude: 0.5811 / 0°34'51"E
OS Eastings: 576964
OS Northings: 245461
OS Grid: TL769454
Mapcode National: GBR PFF.PQ3
Mapcode Global: VHJHD.1Z1Y
Entry Name: Parish Church of Ss Peter and Paul
Listing Date: 19 December 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194114
English Heritage Legacy ID: 282923
Location: Clare, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, CO10
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Clare
Built-Up Area: Clare
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Clare with Poslingford
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 74 NE
Parish Church of SS Peter & Paul
A random flint church with ashlar dressings. The lower part of the tower is
C13 and the upper part is of the C15. The south porch is circa 1380, with a
groin vaulted chamber above and a vaulted bone house or ossuary beneath. The
north porch is of a somewhat later date. In circa 1460 the nave and chancel
were rebuilt and the north and south aisles were widened. The clustered shafts
of the C13 columns were re-used, with C15 bases and caps. The chancel arch is
flanked by 2 stone staircases to the former rood loft and the towers are carried
up above the roof and are terminated by crocketted pinnacles. The north and
south doors are C16, carved and traceried. The north door has an ogee headed
wicket within the main door. The south door has a chapel adjoining on the east
side with the vaulted bone house continued beneath it. There is heraldic glass
in the east window of 1717 commemorating benefactors, Sir George Hunt Knight,
Sir John Higham, Sir Thomas Barnadiston, Sir Stephen Sonnes, Sir William Storton
and the Honourable Company of Haberdashers. Part of the C15 roof screen remains
in the south chancel aisle and there is a parclose screen with fine cresting.
In the south aisle, above the arch to the south chapel there isan interesting
Jacobean gallery. The stalls are C17 with parts of the pew ends of C15 poppy-head
work incorporated. There is a fine early C16 brass eagle lectern, also used
as a money box, supported on 3 collarer dogs. An early C15 octagonal font has
a traceried shaft. Above the south porch there is a 1790 sundial bearing the
motto "Go about your business."
The Parish Church of SS Peter and Paul with No 15 (The Vicarage), Wall to the
Vicarge, Nos 17 to 22 (consec), No 23 (Church Farmhouse), No 26 (The Ancient
House) and No 27 High Street form a group.
The church also forms a group with all the listed buildings in Church Street.
Listing NGR: TL7696445461
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings