History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Heathfield Park

A Grade II* Listed Building in Heathfield and Waldron, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9659 / 50°57'57"N

Longitude: 0.2761 / 0°16'33"E

OS Eastings: 559920

OS Northings: 120963

OS Grid: TQ599209

Mapcode National: GBR MRX.BMM

Mapcode Global: FRA C6GK.9D1

Entry Name: Heathfield Park

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194135

English Heritage Legacy ID: 295185

Location: Heathfield and Waldron, Wealden, East Sussex, TN21

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

Civil Parish: Heathfield and Waldron

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Heathfield All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Heathfield

Listing Text

HEATHFIELD BATTLE ROAD
1.
5208
Heathfield Park
TQ 52 SE 3/792 13.10.52

II*


2.
Originally called Bayley Park. This mansion was begun by James Plummer
in 1677 and continued by Raymond Blackmore in the early C18. It was altered
and enlarged in 1766 by Sir Robert Taylor for General George Augustus Elliott,
who was created Lord Heathfield in 1787, and who owned the house until his
death in 1790. It was renamed Heathfield Park after him by his successor
Francis Newbury in 1791. In 1895 it was remodelled, brick facing being
substituted for stucco, and the south-east wing being added, by Sir Reginald
Blomfield for W C Alexander. Two storeys, attic and semi-basement. Two
windows. Red brick with stone window dressings, stringcourse and panels
below first floor window. Wooden modillion eaves cornice. Hipped tiled
roof. Windows with keystones over and glazing bars intact, those in the
basement being segmental-headed. The original portion of the house was
probably the 6 window bays at the south-westernmost end of the entrance
front. This was a recessed centre containing a Venetian window on the first
floor and 2 slightly projecting wings with long and short quoins and hipped
roofs. The left of these wings has 3 narrow windows, the right wing 2 wider
ones which may have been substituted for the former in 1766, when the 5
window bays at the north-west end of the front were probably added. The
latter portion is divided into 2 sections with quoins to each, the first
of which projects beyond the remainder of the house. Below the Venetian
window in the original portion of the house is a large projecting porch,
with parapet over and a segmental-headed doorway approached by a flight
of wide steps, which dates from 1895.


Listing NGR: TQ5992020963

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.