This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9705 / 51°58'13"N
Longitude: 1.0113 / 1°0'40"E
OS Eastings: 606945
OS Northings: 234509
OS Grid: TM069345
Mapcode National: GBR SMB.JHK
Mapcode Global: VHKFN.HQ0S
Entry Name: Stour
Listing Date: 17 September 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194193
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278789
Location: East Bergholt, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7
Civil Parish: East Bergholt
Built-Up Area: East Bergholt
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: East Bergholt St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 0634 EAST BERGHOLT THE STREET
Large house. C13 with C19 and C20 additions and alterations. Red brick in Flemish
bond. Slate roof. Three storeys, the upper floor possibly being an addition.
Garden front: full-height 3-window canted bays flank 3-bay centre. Central Ionic
doorcase with entablature contains glazed door. Further glazed doors to canted
bays flanked by 15-pane sashes. Otherwise 12-pane sashes in reveals with sills
under cambered gauged brick arches. Moulded second floor band. Cornice. Hipped
roof. Road front: 7 bays, later range adjoins at right. Central square projecting
Doric porch with double leaf doors, of probable C20 date. Sashes with glazing bars
under cambered gauged brick arches. Interior: dining room retains wall panelling,
eared bolection-moulded fireplace, 6-panel doors and panelled shutters. Central
staircase hall, originally 2 rooms, retains some wall panelling. Somewhat
remodelled, cut-string staircase with 3 barleysugar-on-vase balusters per tread,
fluted Corinthian newels, ramped handrail and carved tread-ends. Panelled dado
follows line of stair. Drawing room to south, originally 2 rooms has some wall
panelling and carved pine eared fireplaces. To first floor, one fully-panelled
room with 2-panel doors with L-hinges and several other rooms with original cornices.
known originally as West Lodge, this house was renamed Stour by Randolph Churchill,
who lived here 1954 to his death in 1968. The house may be seen in East Bergholt
Fair of 1811 by John Constable.
Listing NGR: TM0694534509
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings