This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5222 / 51°31'19"N
Longitude: -1.14 / 1°8'23"W
OS Eastings: 459764
OS Northings: 180711
OS Grid: SU597807
Mapcode National: GBR 920.DMC
Mapcode Global: VHCYW.6Z5Z
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Listing Date: 9 February 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194201
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247282
Location: Goring, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG8
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Goring-on-Thames
Built-Up Area: Goring
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Goring
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GORING MANOR ROAD
SU5980 (West side)
11/65 Church of St. Thomas of
Church. C12, apse circa 1887 by Ben Corser of Birmingham. Flint and stone rubble
with stone dressings, with pebbledash render to left; plain tile roof. Nave with
north aisle, chancel, apse and west tower. 3-bay nave, single-bay chancel. C19
double ribbed door in Perpendicular style to porch with gabled roof. 2-light
reticulated tracery windows to left and right of porch. 3-light intersecting
tracery window to left. Tower to right has Romanesque lancet to base. Paired
Romanesque lancets in round arch surround to upper stage. 2-light Perpendicular
louvred opening to top stage. Battlements to roof. Stair turret to right of
tower with square base with zig-zag moulding to top. Round upper stage with
round openings beneath conical stone roof. Right return: Central double plank
door with wrought iron hinges with arch surround with 2 orders of roll-moulding
on jamb shafts with scalloped capitals. C20 inner order frames C20 cross in
tympanum. Paired Romanesque lancets in round arch surround to upper stage
2-light Perpendicular louvred opening to top stage. Rear elevation. Plank door
to porth to right with gabled plain tile roof. Projecting stone corbels below
stone string course. 4 Romanesque lancets. Stone chimney to right of centre.
Left return: Three C19 Romanesque style lancets with cushion capital columns
supporting round arch surrounds. Interior: Romanesque round font under west
tower. Romanesque arch on columns with cushion capitals to west tower.
Transitional arcade to aisle. Medieval brasses. History: Parish church built
C12. Augustinian priory founded in Goring C12. Nuns built their own church as an
extension of the parish church involving the demolition of the parish church
apse. At the Dissolution the priory church was demolished and the wall which had
divided the churches became the east wall of the parish church. The present apse
was built on the original foundation in 1887. The corbels on the rear of the
church supported the roof of the priory cloister.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.614-5).
Listing NGR: SU5976480709
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings