This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5101 / 51°30'36"N
Longitude: -1.0547 / 1°3'16"W
OS Eastings: 465697
OS Northings: 179447
OS Grid: SU656794
Mapcode National: GBR B3M.B4S
Mapcode Global: VHCZ3.N9SN
Entry Name: Alnutts Hospital and Attached Forecourt Walls and Gate
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194275
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247308
Location: Goring Heath, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG8
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Goring Heath
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Goring
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GORING HEATH B4526
SU67NE (North side)
9/90 Alnutt's Hospital and attached
24/10/51 forecourt walls and gate
Almshouses. c.1724. Grey brick with red brick dressings; plain tile roof; brick
stacks. U-shaped plan. Single storey and attic; Central 13 bay range with cross
wings to left and right. Chapel to central 3 bays. Central 6-panel door with
segmental head and flat hood on brackets. Leaded overlight above with segmental
rubbed brick head with keystone. Segmental headed leaded cross windows to left
and right. Doric pilasters to each bay supporting shaped brick cornice. Shaped
gable with central plaque and clock. Lead-roofed cupola to ridge of cross-gable.
Single-storey and attic ranges to left and right. Segmental headed 6-panel doors
to left and right of centre. 3 segmental-headed cross-windows to left and right.
6-panel segmental-headed doors to left and right, hipped full dormers to roof.
Internal stacks to rear. Chapel interior: Nave and chancel with bow end.
Original pews, pulpit with sounding board and altar rail. Busts of Henry Alnutt
and Richard Clement. Subsidiary wall to forecourt with central wrought iron
gateway with overthrow. History: Founded by Henry Alnutt, Lord Mayor of London
in 1724. Richard Clement was his executor and built the Almshouses.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.616-7).
Listing NGR: SU6570079441
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings