This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6028 / 51°36'10"N
Longitude: -0.9526 / 0°57'9"W
OS Eastings: 472636
OS Northings: 189849
OS Grid: SU726898
Mapcode National: GBR C3Y.D0D
Mapcode Global: VHDW1.FZR5
Entry Name: Pishill Church
Listing Date: 11 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194362
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247513
Location: Pishill with Stonor, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Pishill with Stonor
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Pishill
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
PISHILL WITH STONOR CHURCH HILL
SU78NW (West side)
5/41 Pishill Church
Church. Norman and late C13, rebuilt 1854 for Rev. C. E. Rucke-Keene. Coursed
flint rubble with limestone ashlar quoins and dressings; gabled old tile roof.
Chancel, nave and north transept. Gothic Revival style. East window of 3 stepped
lancets: south wall of chancel has one- and 2-light lancets. South wall of nave
has gabled porch with lancets and pointed doorway to double-leaf plank doors:
pointed south doorway to south door. Porch flanked by lancet and 3-light
ogee-headed window. Lean-to north vestry has 2-light lancet and shoulder-headed
doorway to ribbed door. North transept has one- and 2-light trefoil-headed
windows and C13 trefoil-headed north-west window. Louvred bellcote over 2
lancets in west gable. Interior: fine tile reredos, 1873 by Powell and Sons. Mid
C19 chancel roof, pulpit, lectern, benches and organ. C14 octagonal font with
mid C19 cover. Nave has wall brass to Rev. C.E. Rucke-Keene, d.1880, and north
transept (Stonor Aisle) has floor tablets to Simon Doe, d.1659, and one dated
176. North transept roof retains C16 arch-braced collar-truss. Stained glass:
fine chancel windows of 1871, south-west window of 1967 by John Piper, window
east of porch by Cox and Son.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.731-2; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII,
Listing NGR: SU7263689849
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings