This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2696 / 52°16'10"N
Longitude: 0.7133 / 0°42'47"E
OS Eastings: 585233
OS Northings: 266958
OS Grid: TL852669
Mapcode National: GBR QDM.M4Z
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.96YZ
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194364
English Heritage Legacy ID: 284091
Location: Fornham St. Martin, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Fornham St. Martin
Built-Up Area: Fornham St Martin
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Fornham
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 86 NE FORNHAM ST. MARTIN THE STREET
2/27 Church of St. Martin
Parish church. C12 and later, restored 1846. Nave, chancel, north porch,
north vestry, and west tower; south aisle added in 1870. Rubble flint, with
traces of external render; freestone quoins and dressings;Slate roofs. The
nave has coursed rubble, partly herringbone on the north side, and some reused
Roman tiles; over the vestry door and to the east side of the porch, remains
of blocked Norman windows with chevron ornament to surrounds. 2-light C19
windows in Perpendicular style on north of nave. Fine early C16 red brick
porch with diaper patterns in blue headers: diagonal buttresses; crow-stepped
gable; above doorway, an empty niche with hood-mould; in the western buttress,
a holy water stoup; blocked 2-light windows on each side; multiple mouldings
to the arched doorway. Tower in 4 stages, the base and the crenellated
parapet both decorated with a chequerwork of stone and black knapped flint.
Diagonal buttresses at the west end faced in freestone. Gargoyles are spaced
along the cornice below the parapet, and each face of the top stage has a high
2-light window with transome and cusping. The stair turret projects on the
south side. The south aisle, almost as large as thenave, and separately
roofed, was built in 1870, replacing an earlier south aisle dating from 1846.
This is in the Perpendicular style. The interior of the nave and chancel
mainly reflects the restoration of 1846, and all fittings are of that date.
The nave is high, with a coved cornice and plastered barrel-vaulted roof;
fleurons on the capitals of the chancel arch have been picked out in colour.
Fine C15 octagonal font: blank shields in roundels alternating with traceried
panels. Both east windows contain late Victorian memorial stained glass. C17
altar rails with turned balusters. Part of the base of the rood-screen seems
to have been reused as a box-pew in the chancel. 2 funeral hatchments on the
south wall of the chancel. A feature of the church are the 2 misericords
built into the Victorian lectern and reading-desk, one showing St. Martin
dividing his cloak with a beggar, the other the martyrdom of St. Thomas a
Becket. These have been brought from elsewhere.
Listing NGR: TL8523366958
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings