This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8882 / 50°53'17"N
Longitude: -0.3275 / 0°19'38"W
OS Eastings: 517737
OS Northings: 111192
OS Grid: TQ177111
Mapcode National: GBR HLS.81B
Mapcode Global: FRA B66R.G85
Entry Name: No. 9, CHURCH STREET (BROTHERHOOD HALL)
Listing Date: 15 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194367
English Heritage Legacy ID: 298667
Location: Steyning, Horsham, West Sussex, BN44
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Steyning
Built-Up Area: Steyning
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Steyning St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
CHURCH STREET (south-east side)
The original part of Steyning Grammar School. C15 timber-framed building originally the Brotherhood Hall of the Fraternity of the Holy Trinity. This ceased to exist at the Dissolution. The Grammar School was established here in 1614, over the doorway is a tablet inscribed "Brotherhood Hall. Grammar School founded in his native town and endowed AD 1614 by Wm Holland, Alderman of Chichester".
Ground floor has been rebuilt in brick, now painted. First floor oversails on bressumer and brackets and is now tile-hung, once painted, but has no windows facing the street. Above are wide two gables of ornamental timbering with carved bargeboards, eleven pendants and five-light casement windows. Horsham slab roof. Central red brick porch of three storeys and window of which ground and first floors date from 1614 and the top storey with gable over, from late C19. It contains a pointed brick archway with dripstone over and a wrought-iron gate. Inner doorway set in moulded architrave surround with original door of four vertical panels. To south-west of the porch are two windows and two doorways, one with four-centred head, moulded jambs and lintel. To north-east of the porch are three windows and similar blocked doorway.
Large modern additions behind, to south-east, not of special interest.
Listing NGR: TQ1773711192
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings