This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9626 / 51°57'45"N
Longitude: 0.8069 / 0°48'24"E
OS Eastings: 592939
OS Northings: 233065
OS Grid: TL929330
Mapcode National: GBR RKR.SZH
Mapcode Global: VHKFJ.XXYV
Entry Name: Smallbridge Hall
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194489
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277871
Location: Bures St. Mary, Babergh, Suffolk, CO8
Civil Parish: Bures St. Mary
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Wissington
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
Bures St Mary
TL 93 SW 14/74 10.1.53.
One wing of a large red brick Elizabethan mansion, extensively restored
or rebuilt in 1893-94 and again in 1920. The original manor house on
the site was built before 1362 and was owned by Joan, widow of Sir Robert
de Bures when she married Sir Richard Waldegrave. In 1383 Richard II
granted a licence to crenellate the manor house. In 1555 it was demolished
by Sir William Waldegrave who built the great mansion. Queen Elizabeth
I visited the house on 2 occasions, once in 1561, for 2 days, and again
in 1579. 2 storeys and attics. 5 window range on the south front, 2
and 3-light casements with lattice leaded lights. There is a central
doorway with brick architrave and cornice. The front has a parapet and
cornice rising to 4 gabled dormers. Roof tiled with 3 chimney stacks
with 2 octaginal shafts. Gabled wings extend to the north, also with
octagonal shafted chimney stacks. The interior has 4 panelled rooms,
one on the ground storey has painted glass in the window with the arms
of Sir William Waldegrave impaling the coat of his first wife Elizabeth
Mildmay, and the date 1572. There is also a good C16 fire surround.
Listing NGR: TL9293933065
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings