This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8881 / 50°53'17"N
Longitude: 0.2856 / 0°17'8"E
OS Eastings: 560859
OS Northings: 112336
OS Grid: TQ608123
Mapcode National: GBR MSX.71C
Mapcode Global: FRA C6HR.F3V
Entry Name: Carter's Corner Place Cowbeach
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194627
English Heritage Legacy ID: 295245
Location: Hellingly, Wealden, East Sussex, BN27
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Hellingly
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Hellingly St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
HELLINGLY CARTERS CORNER ROAD
Carter's Corner Place.
TQ 61 SW 13/656 13.10.52
Now divided into 3 dwellings. This house is dated 1602. It was built by
and long the residence of the Barton family. It was enlarged by the first
Lord Hailsham about 1920. It is built of red and grey vitreous brick with
a tiled roof and casement windows with stone mullions and transoms. Three
storeys and attic. The main front faces south-east and is half H-shaped.
Three windows. The wings have gables, containing attic windows with kneelers
surmounted by ball finials on tall bases and the same above the apex of each
gable. The centre portion has a moulded brick eaves cornice and a gabled
dormer with similar kneelers and finials. The ground floor windows and those
in the gables have 2 tiers of 5 lights each. Central 4-centred stone doorway
with stone drip-stone over and the date 1602 and the initials I.B. in the
spandrels. The south-east wing is continued to the north-west and has 4 windows
and 2 gabled dormers without finials facing south. At its north-west end
is a modern L-shaped addition with 2 windows facing south which forms, with
the original portion of the house. Three sides of a court-yard on the north-east
side. The west side of the east wing facing this courtyard has one gable,
irregular fenestration and small gabled window bay added at the north end.
Listing NGR: TQ6085912336
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings