History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hurstpierpoint College

A Grade II Listed Building in Hurstpierpoint and Sayers Common, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9432 / 50°56'35"N

Longitude: -0.1653 / 0°9'55"W

OS Eastings: 528993

OS Northings: 117576

OS Grid: TQ289175

Mapcode National: GBR JMK.T6J

Mapcode Global: FRA B6JM.5G2

Entry Name: Hurstpierpoint College

Listing Date: 26 June 1980

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194726

English Heritage Legacy ID: 302590

Location: Hurstpierpoint and Sayers Common, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, BN6

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex

Civil Parish: Hurstpierpoint and Sayers Comm

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Hurstpierpoint

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Hurstpierpoint

Listing Text

HURSTPIERPOINT COLLEGE LANE
1.
5405
Hurstpierpoint College
TQ 21 NE 19/100 26/6/80
II

2.
St John's College, Hurstpierpoint, was the second school established by
Nathanial Woodard, founded in 1849. In 1850 it was established in The Mansion
House Hurstpierpoint and in 1853 moved into its permanent buildings. These
were designed by R.C.Carpenter but largely built after his death by his partner,
William Slater, and his son, R.H. Carpenter. They are in Gothic style and built
of flints with tiled roofs. They form 2 quadrangles, the southern one open on
the south side, with narrow pointer or trefoil-headed ws. The chapel and Hall form
the north side of the north quadrangle. The Chapel at the east end has 7 bays,
4 of them projecting beyond the esst side of the quadrangle. Pointed w. of
Decorated type flanked by buttresses. At the west end of the Chapel are short
transepts which form an ante-chapel, lit by a larger similar w. and above a tower
added in 1929. The interior has very beautiful intern stalls. To the west again
is a small covered passage, also adder in 1929 to join the Chapel to the Ball.
the latter is on the first floor with the diningroom beneath it. These have 5 bays
flanked by buttresses. The ws. on the first floor have flatter pointed heads,
Those on the ground floor consist of pairs of trefoil-headed lancets.


Listing NGR: TQ2899317576

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.