This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2688 / 52°16'7"N
Longitude: 0.7709 / 0°46'15"E
OS Eastings: 589163
OS Northings: 267022
OS Grid: TL891670
Mapcode National: GBR RG0.PQS
Mapcode Global: VHKD5.97WK
Entry Name: Forge Bungalows
Listing Date: 28 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194741
English Heritage Legacy ID: 284438
Location: Great Barton, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Great Barton
Built-Up Area: Great Barton
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Great Barton Holy Innocents
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 86 NE GREAT BARTON THE STREET
1/17 Nos. 1,2,3 & 4 Forge
A row of 4 almshouses, built by Lady Louisa Bunbury in 1830 for poor widows.
Single-storey, with a 2-storey central porch. In a random mixture of flint and
small freestone blocks with white brick quoins and dressings; slate roofs. 2
internal chimney-stacks with plain white brick shafts. 4 canted bays, with
casement windows having transome and cross-bars to lights. The central porch
has a hipped roof with overhanging eaves; a casement window to the upper
storey with rounded heads in Gothick style to the 2 lights, and a rounded
archway to the ground storey with 2 recessed entrance doors. At each gable
end of the range is a small enclosed gabled porch with a plank door set in a
rounded arched doorway. A plaque over the porch entry reads: 'The Widows'
Home. Sacred to the memory of Louisa Emilia Bunbury MDCCCXXX'
Listing NGR: TL8916367022
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings