History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Nowton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2109 / 52°12'39"N

Longitude: 0.7258 / 0°43'32"E

OS Eastings: 586330

OS Northings: 260467

OS Grid: TL863604

Mapcode National: GBR QFD.B9Q

Mapcode Global: VHKDB.JPKG

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194745

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284442

Location: Nowton, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP29

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Nowton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Nowton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Whepstead

Listing Text

TL 86 SE NOWTON

4/21 Church of St. peter
-
14.7.55
II*

Parish church. C12, C13 and C14; much restored and enlarged in 1843. In
random flint, extensively repointed, with freestone quoins and dressings. Old
plain-tiled roofs: a small pitched dormer on each side of the nave roof, and
Victorian ornamental ridge-tiles. Simple Norman south doorway, and a C12
north doorway, with keeled roll-moulding and one order of shafts with volute
capitals, incorporated into a north aisle in Victorian Romanesque style. A
small plain Norman window has also been reused at the east end of this aisle.
Early C13 chancel. 2-light ogee-headed windows to north and south, and a 3-
light east window with intersecting tracery and mouchettes. Angle buttresses
at the east end. Unbuttressed C14 tower in 3 stages: plain base; freestone
quoins, dressings and string-courses; stone facing to the crenellated parapet,
which has damaged pinnacles at the corners. A 2-light window with flowing
tracery to the lowest stage of the west face, a single cinquefoil-headed
window in the second stage, and a 2-light cusped Y-tracery window to each face
of the top stage. A canted stair-turret on the south side with a conical
roof. Very little original work survives inside: most of the fittings, and
the north arcade in Romanesque style, date from the 1843 restoration.
Extensively restored screen. A simple trefoil-headed piscina, and a stone
reredos with cinquefoil panels, in the chancel. A high canopied niche on each
side of the east window. Steeply-pitched roofs to nave and chancel: arch-
braced, with mouldings to purlins and braces; 4 bays to nave, 2 bays with
lower collars to chancel; shields at the intersections, and curious lozenge-
shaped carved bosses added later. A feature of the church are the numerous
small roundels of engraved C16/C17 Flemish glass in the nave and chancel
windows, about 75 in all, set into brightly-coloured surrounds of C19 stained
glass. These were brought 'from monasteries in Brussels' in the early C19 by
Orbell Ray Oakes, who lived at Nowton Court. Various memorial tablets on the
walls, mainly to the Oakes family; the marble monument to Elizabeth Frances
Oakes, d.1811, by John Bacon Jnr. shows a draped female figure kneeling beside
a sarcophagus.


Listing NGR: TL8633060467

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.