This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2631 / 51°15'47"N
Longitude: -2.1817 / 2°10'54"W
OS Eastings: 387417
OS Northings: 151566
OS Grid: ST874515
Mapcode National: GBR 1TF.M8L
Mapcode Global: VH979.4JG1
Entry Name: Westbury Conservative Club (Ferndale House)
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Last Amended: 31 March 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194765
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313052
Location: Westbury, Wiltshire, BA13
Civil Parish: Westbury
Built-Up Area: Westbury (Wiltshire)
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Westbury
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WESTBURY ALFRED STREET
Club (Ferndale House).
(Formerly listed as
ST 8751 NW 3/1 29.12.50.
Early C18 altered. 2 storeys and attic. Brick, recently rendered, on stone
plinth with chamfered capping. Vertical angle stone strips, bonded into side
walls. Stone string at 1st floor level. Plain stone band replaces stone
frieze and moulded cornice. Hipped roof, stone front slopes and dormers replaced
by treble Roman tiles, old stone tiles retained at rear. 2 brick chimneys
with dormer gable ends from roof. Sides and back of building stone. 2 Palladian
windows, stone cills and piers supporting entablature to side lights, one
pane wide, and architrave head with keystone to centre light, 3 panes wide,
with pointed arched glazing pattern. Central single-arched window, with similar
glazing, on 1st floor. 2 similar Palladian windows on ground floor and central
half glazed door, 2 bottom panels, early C19, in plain stone surround, with
flat stone hood on curved stone brackets. Central hall with good contemporary
stair, turned balusters and moulded handrail (now obscured for fire precautions).
Lower wing at back with one 3-light casement. Remainder irregular. Across
front rendered brick wall with flat stone coping and 2 small square stone
central gate piers with moulded and weathered caps. Fine early C19 wrought
iron work mentioned in previous list now destroyed. Former 2 storey stable
block and ostlers' quarters to left, gable end to road. Painted front with
1/4 hipped pantile roof.
Listing NGR: ST8753251429
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings