History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Timworth, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2942 / 52°17'39"N

Longitude: 0.7269 / 0°43'36"E

OS Eastings: 586058

OS Northings: 269733

OS Grid: TL860697

Mapcode National: GBR QDF.4LB

Mapcode Global: VHKCY.KL4M

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194770

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284095

Location: Timworth, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Timworth

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Timworth St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ingham

Listing Text

TL 86 NE TIMWORTH

2/32 Church of St. Andrew
14.7.55

- II*

Parish church, in an isolated position-off the road. C13 and C14, extensively
restored 1868 at the sole expense, and in the characteristic style, of the
then incumbent, the Rev. E.R. Benyon. Nave and chancel, south tower, the base
serving as a porch, and north vestry; the tower in rubble flint, the nave and
chancel mainly in kidney flint, with freestone dressings and quoins.
Plaintiled roofs. On the south side of the nave there is evidence of a
blocked earlier window, and the rubble is coursed at the bottom of the wall.
Simple pointed C13 arch with continuous mouldings to north doorway and 2
lancets on the north wall of the chancel; the remaining window tracery is all
Victorian replacement. Early C14 south doorway with continuous mouldings, and
on the surrounding arch, which forms part of the north wall of the tower, a
number of C18 graffiti. The C14 tower was added on the south, since the west
end of the nave is too near the boundary of the churchyard to fit it in on the
west. 3 stages; C19 flushwork panels around the base and south doorway;
diagonal buttresses; plain embattled parapet. A scratch-dial on a projecting
square-set block of stone at the bottom of the second stage of the south-east
buttress. Heavily restored interior: roof, benches and font all renewed. But
a fine set of late C17 altar rails with barley-sugar twist balusters, and a
short flight of steps up to the pulpit with the same balusters. Handsome
Baroque pulpit; hexagonal, with panelled sides, winged cherub heads supporting
the base, and acanthus-leaf decoration around the top. Said to have come from
St. James' Church, Bury St. Edmunds, it has been adapted, with mid-Victorian
applied panels in Gothic style and a renewed stone base. Large painted and
framed arms of William III on the south wall.


Listing NGR: TL8605869733

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.