History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School

A Grade II Listed Building in Belton and Manthorpe, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.93 / 52°55'47"N

Longitude: -0.632 / 0°37'55"W

OS Eastings: 492053

OS Northings: 337830

OS Grid: SK920378

Mapcode National: GBR DPY.91Q

Mapcode Global: WHGKH.8M94

Entry Name: The Old School

Listing Date: 21 September 1979

Last Amended: 14 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194838

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382904

Location: Belton and Manthorpe, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG31

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Belton and Manthorpe

Built-Up Area: Grantham

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Grantham Manthorpe

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Barkston

Listing Text

BELTON & MANTHORPE
SK9237 HIGH ROAD, Manthorpe
1315-0/11/127 (South East side)
21/09/79 The Old School
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH ROAD, Manthorpe
Former Village School)
II

Also known as: School House HIGH ROAD Manthorpe.
Former school, now a house. Dated 1865, with late C20
additions and alterations. Coursed squared stone with ashlar
dressings and stone slate roof. Large external rear wall stack
with square stone flue set diagonally. Tudor Revival style.
Plinth, quoins, coped gables with kneelers and iron finials.
Single storey; 3 bays. L-plan. To right, a 4-centred arched
board door with a datestone in a panel above it. To left, 2
reglazed 3-light windows with chamfered stone mullions and
surrounds. Left gable has a canted stone bay window with a
gabled parapet and central stone mullioned cross casement.
Above it, a quatrefoil in a sunken panel. Rear wing has late
C20 fenestration.
An educational building provided for workers on the Belton
estate by the Brownlow family of Belton House.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 550).


Listing NGR: SK9203437745

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.