This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9187 / 52°55'7"N
Longitude: -0.6946 / 0°41'40"W
OS Eastings: 487864
OS Northings: 336493
OS Grid: SK878364
Mapcode National: GBR CNQ.55K
Mapcode Global: WHGKG.9WGV
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 20 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194848
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382819
Location: Barrowby, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Barrowby
Built-Up Area: Barrowby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Barrowby All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK8736 CHURCH STREET
1315-0/12/13 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. Mainly C14, with C13 fragments and C15 south
porch. Restored 1854 and 1889. Organ chamber and vestry 1870.
Coursed squared ironstone and limestone ashlar with Welsh
slate and Westmorland slate roofs. Decorated and Perpendicular
styles. Windows have pointed arches and hood moulds.
Chancel, vestry and organ chamber, nave with aisles, south
porch, west tower with spire.
Chancel, mid and late C14, 2 bays, has coped east gable with
cross and a late C14 3-light window with panel tracery. South
side has to east a 2-light window with cusped heads, mid C14,
and to west a larger 3-light window with panel tracery, late
C14. Between the windows, a blocked early C13 priest's door
with trefoil head. North side has lean-to vestry with a reset
C13 doorway to north and an east window with Y-tracery. Organ
chamber has a central buttress flanked to east by a single
lancet and to west by a traceried 2-light window.
Nave, C14, has coped east gable with C19 trefoil round window,
external gable stack, and cross.
Buttressed south aisle, 4 bays, has coped parapet with
ballflower frieze and gargoyles. Three mid C14 windows with
different patterns of flowing tracery. Single lancet at west
Similar north aisle, C13 and late C14, has three 3-light
windows, late C14, with panel tracery. Blocked C14 north door,
double chamfered. West end has a C13 2-light window with
South porch has coped gable with cross and a renewed figure in
a niche over a C13 double chamfered door with hood mould. On
either side, a small C13 2-light pointed arched window.
Square west tower, 3 stages, has diagonal west buttresses, the
lowest stage gabled. Moulded plinth, string courses,
ballflower frieze with gargoyles, crenellated parapet. To
west, an early C13 single lancet with hood mould. Above, a
single light flat headed window on each side. Bell stage has
on each side a 2-light pointed arched bell opening with
Decorated tracery and hood mould. Set back octagonal spire has
2 tiers of gabled lucarnes on alternate faces, and C18
Interior, rendered, has C14 double chamfered chancel arch with
octagonal responds. C15 traceried wooden screen with central
portion c1927. Arch braced single purlin roof. East end has a
3-light window with stained glass, 1884, and a traceried
wooden reredos, 1920. South side has a C13 piscina and triple
sedilia, restored C19, and blocked doorway flanked by stained
glass windows, 1898 and 1904, the latter by Heaton, Butler &
Bayne. North side has to east a blocked C13 doorway with
shafts and a gabled head aumbry. To west, a C19 2 bay arcade
in C14 style.
Nave has C19 arch braced hammer beam roof. C14 arcades, 4
bays, with double chamfered arches with hood moulds, and
octagonal piers and responds. The earlier north arcade has a
short remnant of wall in the centre.
The south aisle, reroofed 1889, has to east of the door a C14
niche. 2 windows with C19 patterned stained glass and one with
glass c1956 by Francis Skeat.
North aisle has a stained glass window to east, c1913, with a
C14 tomb recess below it, and a window to west, c1935, by
Heaton, Butler & Laneton. East end has a segmental arch
containing a blank lancet, C19.
Tower arch, C14, has ballflower capitals, hood mould and mask
stops. Tower chamber has C13 west window with stained glass
Fittings include outstanding C14 font with pierced octagonal
stem enclosing a devil, and elaborately traceried bowl.
Octagonal traceried oak pulpit, C19, made from C15 fragments.
Mid C19 benches and stalls, and late C19 brass lectern and
Memorials include brasses to Nicholas Deen, 1479, and James
Deen and wife, 1508. Wall tablet, 1674, to Dr. Hurst, Chaplain
to Charles I.
Various tablets, early and mid C19. Brass war memorial tablet
with figures and segmental pediment, c1920.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 119; de Ville E: Guide to
Barrowby Parish Church: Grantham: 1977-).
Listing NGR: SK8786336493
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings