This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9431 / 52°56'35"N
Longitude: -0.6185 / 0°37'6"W
OS Eastings: 492928
OS Northings: 339310
OS Grid: SK929393
Mapcode National: GBR DPS.DFP
Mapcode Global: WHGKH.G9P1
Entry Name: West Wing to Belton House and Attached Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 19 February 1952
Last Amended: 14 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194857
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382845
Location: Belton and Manthorpe, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Belton and Manthorpe
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Belton St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
BELTON & MANTHORPE
SK9239 BELTON PARK, Belton
1315-0/8/72 (North West side)
19/02/52 West wing to Belton House and
attached boundary wall
(Formerly Listed as:
BELTON PARK, Belton
Service wing to Belton House, forming the west and north sides
of the West Court, and attached boundary wall. West range
1685-1688, by William Stanton, Master Mason, for Sir John
Brownlow; north range late C19, for the third Earl Brownlow,
incorporating a C17 doorcase. Ashlar and coursed squared stone
with hipped Westmorland slate roofs, that to the west range
topped with an octagonal wooden cupola with clock dial, round
arched openings, leaded ogee dome and finial. 2 large coped
ashlar ridge stacks, 2 similar side wall stacks and 4 smaller
rear wall stacks. Plinth, flush quoins, modillion eaves. 2
storeys plus attics; 8 x 7 bays. Windows are mainly 2-light
casements, with moulded surrounds, mullions and keystones.
West range, half-H plan, has a moulded elliptical carriage
arch with imposts and moulded keystone, and a pair of panelled
wooden gates. To right, 3 windows on each floor. To left, 4
windows, and below, 3 windows, then a 6-panel door with
overlight with similar surround to the windows. Above, 5 box
dormers. Rear has 4 dormers. Rear wings have regular
fenestration with 5 windows on each floor, and 4 dormers.
North range has a shaped round arched central gable and a
moulded round arched doorway with broken segmental pediment,
flanked by smaller round arched niches. The door has been
replaced by a larger niche. All the niches contain figures.
Beyond, on either side, 3 windows, and above, 4 dormers.
Below, on either side, 2 windows, then a door.
Attached to the south west rear wing, a boundary wall
enclosing a rectangular service yard, approx 70 x 30M. Coursed
squared stone with slab coping and ashlar corner piers with
ball finials. 2 doorways on the north side.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 139).
Listing NGR: SK9292839310
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings