History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

20, the Close

A Grade II Listed Building in Lichfield, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6852 / 52°41'6"N

Longitude: -1.8299 / 1°49'47"W

OS Eastings: 411595

OS Northings: 309737

OS Grid: SK115097

Mapcode National: GBR 4DN.L5T

Mapcode Global: WHCGN.VRST

Entry Name: 20, the Close

Listing Date: 5 February 1952

Last Amended: 17 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194873

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382776

Location: Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Lichfield

Built-Up Area: Lichfield

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Find accommodation in
Lichfield

Listing Text


LICHFIELD

SK1109NE THE CLOSE
1094-1/5/208 (South side)
05/02/52 No.20
(Formerly Listed as:
THE CLOSE
Lichfield Theological College)

GV II

House, now divided into two. 1819 or 1833. Brick with ashlar
dressings; double-span tile roof with brick end stacks.
Double-depth plan. Georgian style.
3 storeys; symmetrical 5-window range. Stucco plinth, 1st
floor sill band and top cornice and parapet. Entrance has
rusticated opening with Tuscan aedicule with frieze and
cornice; recessed porch up steps is rusticated, with large
half-glazed door and 6-panel return doors; entrance to left
end has rubbed brick flat arch and half-glazed door. Windows
have sills, and rubbed brick flat arches over 12-pane sashes,
6-pane sashes to 2nd floor. Rear has centre breaking forward
under pediment and with brick terrace to ground floor.
INTERIOR: windows have shutters; recorded as having open-well
staircase, to right of centre, with cast-iron balustrade.
From 1872-1972, the building served as the residence of the
principal of the Theological College, which was housed in
1870s additions to the right, of which only the chapel of 1885
(not included) survives, the rest having been demolished in
1981.
(Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Greenslade M W:
Lichfield: Oxford: 1990-: P.66; Drury P: The Capitular Estate
of Dean and Chapter of Lichfield Cathedral: 1987-).


Listing NGR: SK1159609737

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.