History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Storey Institute, Back Entrance

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.049 / 54°2'56"N

Longitude: -2.8045 / 2°48'16"W

OS Eastings: 347424

OS Northings: 461746

OS Grid: SD474617

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.M9

Mapcode Global: WH846.WHQB

Entry Name: Storey Institute, Back Entrance

Listing Date: 22 December 1953

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194906

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383092

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NW CASTLE PARK
1685-1/6/58 (South side)
22/12/53 Storey Institute, back entrance
(Formerly Listed as:
CASTLE PARK
The Technical School (Storey
Institute))

GV II

Former frontispiece to Cawthorne House, which was built in the
1770s by Richard Gillow for John Fenton Cawthorne and stood on
the site of the present Post Office in Market Street. Re-sited
and reduced in height c1906. Sandstone ashlar.
Roman Doric portico with 2 columns in antis under a triglyph
frieze and cornice. Above this 3 courses of masonry with
chamfered quoins and a small moulded cornice, then a single
course surmounted by a pediment with dentils. (Originally
there were 2 storeys between the portico and the pediment.)
The openings of the portico are furnished with elegant
wrought-iron gates and screens, also from Cawthorne House,
which have elaborate scrolled cresting. The structure frames a
rectangular opening in a single-storey building. Further to
the left, however, is an ex-situ semicircular door hood of
c1700, formerly part of a building which was demolished in
1906 to make way for an extension of the Storey Institute,
Meeting House Lane (qv).


Listing NGR: SD4742461746

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.