This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0498 / 54°2'59"N
Longitude: -2.8009 / 2°48'3"W
OS Eastings: 347661
OS Northings: 461837
OS Grid: SD476618
Mapcode National: GBR 8PWM.D0
Mapcode Global: WH846.YGFP
Entry Name: 46 and 48, Church Street
Listing Date: 9 July 1974
Last Amended: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194912
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383107
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NE CHURCH STREET
1685-1/7/75 (North side)
09/07/74 Nos.46 AND 48
(Formerly Listed as:
Pair of houses, now one shop. Mid C18, altered C19 and C20.
Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Slate roof
with gable chimney stacks which have brick caps. Double-depth
plan extended to the rear.
3 storeys over cellars, and 4 bays with chamfered quoins on
the upper floors and an eaves cornice. The ground floor was
altered c1990 and has a timber shop front with cornice and
with glazed doorways to each side. The windows in the upper
floors have raised plain surrounds, the lintels of those on
the second floor are linked into a band which forms the frieze
of the eaves cornice. All the surrounds appear to have been
enlarged by lowering their sills. The windows are glazing bar
sashes inserted c1990.
INTERIOR: the dogleg open-stringed staircase between the front
and back rooms of No.48 remains between 1st and 2nd floors.
Listing NGR: SD4766161837
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings