This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0484 / 54°2'54"N
Longitude: -2.7975 / 2°47'51"W
OS Eastings: 347880
OS Northings: 461680
OS Grid: SD478616
Mapcode National: GBR 8PXM.4H
Mapcode Global: WH847.0H4R
Entry Name: Palatine Hall
Listing Date: 16 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194918
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383129
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NE DALTON SQUARE
1685-1/7/98 (North side)
and Palatine Hall
Roman Catholic church with attached presbytery to the left,
later public hall, music hall, cinema, and now council
offices. 1798-1799, altered 1859 and extensively remodelled
internally in 1983. Probably by Robert Roper. Sandstone
ashlar, with sides and rear of coursed dressed sandstone with
a plinth, quoins and dressings of ashlar. The roofs are of
slightly different pitches, with Welsh slate to the left on
No.2 and Cumbrian slate on Palatine Hall, and there is a large
chimney stack above the party wall between the premises. The
roof of Palatine Hall is hipped and has a square louvred
ventilator on the ridge. No.2 has a double-depth plan, while
what was the church has a single-span roof and runs back from
3 storeys above a cellar, and 6 bays with an eaves cornice
which continues around and along Friar Street. Originally the
facade was formed by an almost matching pair of 3-bay
elevations with central doorways (though the bays of the
church are slightly wider, and most if not all of its openings
were blind). All the openings now have plain reveals. The
doorway of No.2 has a cornice on consoles, while Palatine Hall
has a wide single-storey flat-roofed porch of 1859 with
clasping Tuscan pilasters, a frieze inscribed 'PALATINE HALL'
and a moulded cornice. The panelled doors of both parts are
The side elevation to Friar Street has, in the first bay which
is marked off by plain raised quoins, a large Venetian window
with a plain surround and keystone, which originally lit the
sanctuary of the church. To the right are 3 taller, similarly
detailed round-headed windows linked by a band at impost
level; above and to the right of each of these is a small oval
window inserted in 1983 to light the top floor of the office.
On the far right is a late C19 doorway with ovolo-moulded
jambs between rusticated strip pilasters.
INTERIOR: the conversion in 1983 involved a cleverly contrived
split-level scheme to take advantage of the fall of the site
to the north of the Square. This retained all, and exposed 6,
of the trusses of the roof. Each truss has 5 queen posts,
shaped as columns with moulded bases and caps. These carry
brackets supporting moulded collars and longitudinal beams.
HISTORY: the church was built as the first publicly visible
Roman Catholic church in the town, after the Catholic Relief
Act of 1778, and was in use until 1859, when it was superseded
by St Peter's Church, St Peter's Road, now the Cathedral (qv).
After 1859 the building became a public hall, a music hall
and, lastly, a cinema.
Listing NGR: SD4788061680
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings