History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Perimeter Walls and Gateway of Roman Catholic Cemetery

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.047 / 54°2'49"N

Longitude: -2.7926 / 2°47'33"W

OS Eastings: 348198

OS Northings: 461511

OS Grid: SD481615

Mapcode National: GBR 8PYN.61

Mapcode Global: WH847.2JGW

Entry Name: Perimeter Walls and Gateway of Roman Catholic Cemetery

Listing Date: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194924

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383143

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Bulk

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Scotforth

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4861 EAST ROAD
1685-1/5/113 (South side)
Perimeter walls and gateway of Roman
Catholic Cemetery

GV II

Gateway and walls enclosing 3 sides of the Roman Catholic
Cemetery. 1849-50. By EG Paley. Sandstone rubble with ashlar
dressings. The walls on the north and east sides have
roughly-dressed triangular copings. The wall on the west side,
which incorporates the gateway, has a roll-topped coping. The
gateway is roofed with overlapping sandstone flags between 2
gables which have wedge-shaped coping stones giving a similar
stepped appearance. The archways are pointed, chamfered in 2
orders, and have hoodmoulds. On the west side are gates of
timber and iron. Internally, a single transverse rib supports
the vault, and an inscribed plaque is set into the side wall:
'According to the pious and charitable wish of the Revd Thomas
Abbot, who died... Feb. 18th 1904... it was directed that four
masses be celebrated in the Church of St Peter... each
year...'.


Listing NGR: SD4819861511

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.