History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Entrance Lodge at Ripley St Thomas School

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0403 / 54°2'25"N

Longitude: -2.7998 / 2°47'59"W

OS Eastings: 347718

OS Northings: 460778

OS Grid: SD477607

Mapcode National: GBR 8PWQ.ND

Mapcode Global: WH846.YPXZ

Entry Name: Entrance Lodge at Ripley St Thomas School

Listing Date: 18 February 1970

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194929

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383040

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Scotforth West

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Scotforth

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD46SE ASHTON ROAD
1685-1/1/345 (West side)
18/02/70 Entrance lodge at Ripley St Thomas
School
(Formerly Listed as:
ASHTON ROAD
Lodge and adjacent entrance gateway
at Ripley St Thomas' School)

GV II

Entrance lodge. 1885. By Paley and Austin. Snecked sandstone
rubble with slate roof. L-plan, with gabled cross-wing at
left. One storey with attic. The cross-wing has a
single-storey 6-light stone bowed window with coped parapet.
The attic storey is lit by a 3-light mullioned window with
blind trefoil heads to the lights.
The main range has a 3-light double-chamfered mullioned
window. To its left, in the angle with the cross-wing, is an
open porch under a slated lean-to roof supported on timber
posts, 2 of which are turned, with their heads connected by
flat timber ogee arches, and with a low timber balustrade. The
doorway has moulded stone jambs and a shaped lintel dated
'1885'. Both gables have copings. Chimneys with clustered
shafts at left and at rear towards the right.


Listing NGR: SD4771860778

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.