This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0341 / 54°2'2"N
Longitude: -2.8006 / 2°48'2"W
OS Eastings: 347660
OS Northings: 460082
OS Grid: SD476600
Mapcode National: GBR 8PWS.GN
Mapcode Global: WH846.YVKS
Entry Name: Royal Albert Hospital (Original Part Only)
Listing Date: 30 November 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194930
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383042
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Scotforth West
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD46SE ASHTON ROAD
1685-1/1/10 Royal Albert Hospital (original part
Mental hospital. 1868-1873. Designed by Paley and Austin.
Dressed sandstone with ashlar dressings and with red St Bees
sandstone in bands at impost level on the ground and first
floors and as eaves corbels. Hipped roofs of green Coniston
slate. Gothic Revival style
Symmetrical plan with 2 storeys above a basement, and attics
with gabled dormer windows. 6-bay central block flanked by
11-bay wings which have, in their centre, a 3-bay canted
projection and, at the end, a wider and taller 3-bay pavilion
with a separate roof. Most ground-floor windows have paired
lancets under a 2-centred arched hoodmould, and most
first-floor windows have paired lights under flat lintels.
Those in the projections and pavilions are more ornate, mostly
with triple lancets under an oculus. All dormer windows have
cross casements and hipped roofs with finials.
The central block has a single-storey triple-arched porch with
columns of red sandstone set between wide projecting bays.
These have 2 paired windows on the ground floor, between which
is a buttress which supports a canted oriel on the first
floor. Above and behind the porch is a wide 3-storey tower
with 4 corner turrets and a tall steeply-pitched roof with 3
tiers of gabled dormers. The centre of the middle storey of
the tower has a clock flanked by statues of Queen Victoria and
Prince Albert, sculpted in Longridge stone by Mr Bridgeman of
Lichfield and unveiled in 1888, all under an arcade of
trefoiled arches under gablets.
The long rear wings to left and right have 8-bay centres
between projecting 3-bay pavilions with separate roofs.
INTERIOR: in the centre block is an imperial staircase with an
ornate wrought-iron balustrade which rises behind a triple
arch with elaborate waterleaf capitals; further to the rear is
the 5-bay De Vitre Hall with 2-light transomed windows under
an oculus and a roof of 6 arch-braced trusses which have a
king post with an arch on either side above the collar.
HISTORY: established as the 'Royal Albert Idiot Asylum for
idiots and imbeciles of the seven northern counties.' It
accepted both paying patients and those admitted by the vote
(Cross Fleury: Time-Honoured Lancaster: Lancaster: 1891-:
Listing NGR: SD4766060082
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings