History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royal Lancaster Infirmary (Original Building)

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0441 / 54°2'38"N

Longitude: -2.7995 / 2°47'58"W

OS Eastings: 347747

OS Northings: 461198

OS Grid: SD477611

Mapcode National: GBR 8PWP.Q1

Mapcode Global: WH846.ZM32

Entry Name: Royal Lancaster Infirmary (Original Building)

Listing Date: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194932

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383048

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Scotforth West

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Scotforth

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761SE ASHTON ROAD
1685-1/8/12 (West side)
Royal Lancaster Infirmary (original
building)

GV II

Hospital. 1896, altered and extended 1929. Designed by Paley
and Austin. Sandstone ashlar with slate roofs. Free
Renaissance style. Originally a reversed L-shaped plan
arranged symmetrically around an octagonal 4-stage entrance
tower, and altered by the construction of a long extension on
the left.
Above the entrance doorway is a square niche framed with
strapwork and filled with a Coade stone plaque, representing
the Good Samaritan. This was previously placed above the
entrance of the dispensaries at No.19 Castle Hill (qv) and
No.6 Thurnham Street (qv). The upper faces of the tower above
the doorway are blind, but on the third floor an aedicule
contains the royal coat of arms. On either side of the
entrance the faces of the tower are canted backwards and have
a rectangular window on the ground and first floors. All the
windows have quadrant-moulded architraves and a keystone and
are sashed with glazing bars. On the second floor is a bull's
eye window, and on the third a round-headed window; above is a
balustrade which hides the base of an ogee-shaped dome.
To the right of the tower is the 2-bay return wall of the
right-hand original block, which has 2 storeys, plus gabled
attics, and 5 wide bays arranged as a recessed centre and 2
cross-wings. These have paired windows on the ground and first
floors and a stepped 3-light window under a Flemish gable. The
central bay has a similar gable and paired windows on the
first floor, but the ground floor has a canted bay window. To
the far right is a single-storey wing containing an entrance
with a battlemented lintel and a datestone, all set under a
Flemish gable, which has a bull's eye window.


Listing NGR: SD4774761198

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.