This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0509 / 54°3'3"N
Longitude: -2.8016 / 2°48'5"W
OS Eastings: 347613
OS Northings: 461954
OS Grid: SD476619
Mapcode National: GBR 8PWL.7M
Mapcode Global: WH846.YF1W
Entry Name: 1 and 3, Cable Street
Listing Date: 22 December 1953
Last Amended: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383059
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Bulk
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NE CABLE STREET
1685-1/7/25 (North side)
22/12/53 Nos.1 AND 3
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
Pair of houses, now shop and office, and a restaurant. 1760,
altered and part demolished c1965. Designed by Richard Gillow.
For Captain Henry Fell and Mr Samuel Simpson. Sandstone ashlar
facade with ashlar dressings, and coursed and squared
sandstone with brick used in part of the rear wing (perhaps
the earliest dated use in Lancaster). Slate roof with, to the
right, a coped gable with kneelers and a tall gable chimney.
T-plan: double-depth front range with a long 2-storey rear
Originally 3 storeys above a cellar, although No.1 now has
only one storey. 8 bays, 3 to No.1 and 5 to No.3, the last 2
placed over a waggon entrance with a deep stone lintel.
Chamfered quoins, a first-floor sill band, and a moulded eaves
cornice. All the windows have moulded architraves with triple
keystones, those in No.3 have 12-pane sashes. In third and
fourth bays the doorways of both houses are combined into a
central feature (apparently the first time that this was done
in Lancaster) with a single Doric pediment with triglyph
frieze carried on 3 engaged columns. The doors are recessed,
with 4 steps leading to panelled doors which have integral
overlights with tracery of different patterns. The rear wing
(approached through the waggon entrance) is covered by modern
additions on the ground floor, but otherwise has coupled
windows and a central 2-stage stair window, all with glazing
INTERIOR: No.3 has a dogleg staircase with an open string and
scrolled brackets, and reeded architraves to some doors.
HISTORY: Captain Fell was a Port Commissioner and perhaps a
relative of Gillow. The specification for this building
survives in the Gillow archives, and the mason was William
Kirby, for whose use the design of the central doorway was
drawn out at a large scale. Captain Fell's new house at Fleet
Bridge is referred to in the specification for mason's work at
the new Custom House (now the Maritime Museum, qv), prepared
No.3 was listed on 18.2.1970.
Listing NGR: SD4761361954
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings