This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0495 / 54°2'58"N
Longitude: -2.804 / 2°48'14"W
OS Eastings: 347454
OS Northings: 461799
OS Grid: SD474617
Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.Q4
Mapcode Global: WH846.WGXY
Entry Name: 19, Castle Hill
Listing Date: 22 December 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194938
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383070
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NW CASTLE HILL
1685-1/6/37 (East side)
Dispensary, now office. 1785, altered 1845. Sandstone ashlar
facade with ashlar dressings, coursed rubble elsewhere. Slate
roof with gable chimneys. Shallow double-depth plan with small
one-storey lean-to extension at the rear.
2 storeys over a cellar, and 3 bays, of which the central one
on the first floor contains a square niche, framed by inverted
scrolled jambs under a plain cornice and containing a worn
tablet inscribed 'ILC 1845'. Sill bands on both floors, and
above first-floor windows a fluted frieze, in the centre of
which is a plain band where the painted letters 'DISPENSARY'
were just discernible in 1989, but now removed by abrasive
cleaning. Overall is a shallow moulded pediment, which has 3
ball finials, divided horizontally by thin square slabs set
diagonally. All the windows have plain reveals and 4-pane
sashes. The central round-headed doorway, up 2 nosed steps, is
flanked by engaged Tuscan columns carrying fluted entablatures
and an open pediment. The door has 9 raised and fielded
panels, and the fanlight has radiating glazing bars.
INTERIOR: contains some doorways with reeded architraves, and
panelled shutters on the first floor.
HISTORY: built by public subscription in 1785 as the second
home, until 1832, of the town's dispensary. The niche
originally contained a square Coade stone plaque representing
the Good Samaritan; this was subsequently moved and placed
above the entrance of the Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Ashton
Listing NGR: SD4745461799
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings