History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

29, Castle Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.049 / 54°2'56"N

Longitude: -2.8039 / 2°48'14"W

OS Eastings: 347462

OS Northings: 461742

OS Grid: SD474617

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.R9

Mapcode Global: WH846.WHZC

Entry Name: 29, Castle Hill

Listing Date: 18 February 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194939

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383074

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NW CASTLE HILL
1685-1/6/41 (East side)
18/02/70 No.29

GV II

Warehouse, now shop and public house. Mid C18, altered and
extended late C19. Roughly coursed sandstone rubble with
ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Tall chimney stacks above the
right-hand and left-hand side walls of the range on the left,
which has its gable to the road. This now has 3 storeys, but
the roof, which has strongly projecting but asymmetrical
verges, has obviously been lowered.
The facade is symmetrical with 2 loading slots with projecting
corbels on the first and second floors; between the slots is a
late C19 steel crane, and to either side on the first floor is
a roughly square window with plain jambs, that to the left
still has a square mullion. On the ground floor the loading
slots are glazed as shop windows, to right a doorway with a
plain surround.
Beyond this, on the right, is a 2-storey extension, enlarged
or remodelled in the late C19 under 2 roofs whose ridges run
parallel to the street and terminate in 2 timber-framed
projecting gables. Below the larger (left-hand) gable is a
canted oriel with a tile-hung apron above a tripartite
ground-floor window. In the gable are painted traces of the
name 'RICHARD HINDE'. To the right below the smaller gable a
tripartite sash above a small plain sash. Beyond is a further
extension under a cat-slide roof, which is carried down from
the rear of the main warehouse range.
INTERIOR: very large barrel-vaulted cellars under the main
range.
HISTORY: Richard Hinde was a wine and spirit merchant,
mentioned in directories of 1851 and 1913.


Listing NGR: SD4746561743

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.