This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0493 / 54°2'57"N
Longitude: -2.8062 / 2°48'22"W
OS Eastings: 347314
OS Northings: 461778
OS Grid: SD473617
Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.86
Mapcode Global: WH846.VHX3
Entry Name: 4, Castle Park
Listing Date: 22 December 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194940
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383078
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NW CASTLE PARK
1685-1/6/46 (South side)
House. Late C18, altered C19. Sandstone ashlar with ashlar
dressings. Stone slate roof with a prominent gable chimney
stack on the left and with a stack to the right shared with
No.2 (qv). Double-depth plan with a rear wing on the right.
3 storeys above a cellar and 3 bays. The windows have plain
raised surrounds and 4-pane sashes, except for the central one
on the second floor, which is blind and has 12 fixed panes.
The heads of the other second-floor windows appear to have
been raised and the lower parts of the surrounds infilled. The
doorway, in the right-hand bay, has a plain raised surround
under a moulded cornice. Original doorway to central bay has
an integral rectangular overlight with glazing bars arranged
in a diamond pattern above a square panel, subdivided with
framing to form a concave-sided hollow diamond. To the right
of the door are railings with cast-iron arrow-head balusters.
INTERIOR: most doorways have reeded architraves. At the rear
of the entrance hall is a 3-bay arcade, with square pilasters
carrying semi-elliptical arches. From the centre of this
arcade rises the dogleg staircase, which has an open string
and stick balusters. The ground-floor front room has shutters
at the windows and a triple alcove with semi-elliptical
Listing NGR: SD4731461778
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings