History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 18 and 18a Including Attached Privy House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0491 / 54°2'56"N

Longitude: -2.8053 / 2°48'19"W

OS Eastings: 347368

OS Northings: 461762

OS Grid: SD473617

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.F7

Mapcode Global: WH846.WH97

Entry Name: Numbers 18 and 18a Including Attached Privy House

Listing Date: 22 December 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194942

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383083

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NW CASTLE PARK
1685-1/6/51 (South side)
22/12/53 Nos.18 AND 18A
including attached privy house
(Formerly Listed as:
CASTLE PARK
No.18)

GV II*

Coach house, stables and privy, now flats above garages. Early
C18, altered c1975. Roughcast sandstone rubble, with ashlar
dressings on the front, and roughly coursed rubble at the
rear. Stone slate roof and brick gable stack to the right.
An almost symmetrical elevation of 2 storeys and 6 bays, with
a first-floor sill band. The ground floor has, in the centre,
a pair of coach house doorways under semi-elliptical moulded
arches, with prominent keystones, rising from stout ashlar
piers. These are flanked on each side by a stable doorway
under a plain lintel, the one to the left has been widened. To
the left again is a narrow doorway with a moulded architrave
and a door with 6 raised and fielded panels under a recent
fanlight, and on the far right a window with raised plain
surround. On the first floor, above the coach house doorways,
are 2 round-headed windows (originally circular pitching eyes)
which have moulded architraves with keystones and wedge-shaped
impost blocks. They are flanked on either side by 2 windows
with raised plain surrounds, All windows have recent 8-pane
sashes.
To the rear of the building and set into the corner of the
garden wall of No.16 (qv) is a large C18 privy house built of
hand-made brick with some ashlar dressings. The convex facade
has the appearance of 2 storeys and 3 bays, with a central
doorway with a moulded architrave and panelled door, a narrow
vertical window on each side, and 3 blind lunettes above. The
tall, single-storey interior is furnished with 7 privy seats,
including a low child's seat in the angle.
HISTORY: built as the coach house stables and privy to Castle
Park House, No.20 Castle Park (qv).


Listing NGR: SD4736561760

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.