This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0244 / 54°1'27"N
Longitude: -2.8125 / 2°48'44"W
OS Eastings: 346868
OS Northings: 459021
OS Grid: SD468590
Mapcode National: GBR 8PSX.W3
Mapcode Global: WH84D.R3XM
Entry Name: Lunecliffe Hall
Listing Date: 22 December 1953
Last Amended: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194962
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383029
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2
Electoral Ward/Division: Scotforth West
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
1685-1/2/344 Lunecliffe Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
Formerly known as: Stodday Lodge.
Small country house, now house and office. Late C18 and early
C19, with later additions. Sandstone ashlar, with ashlar
dressings. Slate roof.
PLAN: composite plan formed by rectangular double-depth main
block on east-west axis, facing north, with additions to the
rear including service wing.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus cellar and attic, 3 bays.
Symmetrical, with plinth, rusticated quoins, 1st-floor sill
band, moulded cornice, and low blocking course. The pedimented
centre, breaking forwards slightly, has a semicircular porch
mounted on 3 steps, with 4 Tuscan columns (2 engaged), plain
frieze and mutuled cornice, and a round-headed doorway with
curvilinear tracery in the fanlight. The windows are 12-pane
sashes with plain reveals. Gable chimneys.
The 3-bay left return wall has, inter alia, a doorway towards
the rear, a tall round-headed sashed stair window above this,
with tracery in the head matching that in the fanlight of the
front door, a blind window with painted glazing bars at 1st
floor to the right, and a lunette with radiating glazing bars
in the gable, which is treated as a pediment.
To the rear is the added service wing, 3 storeys to the same
height, with sill bands, 12-pane sashes at ground and 1st
floors, 3-light casements at 2nd floor.
The right-hand return wall has 2 windows on each floor
including a very prominent late C19 five-sided bay to the
right, and a lunette in the pediment.
To the rear the addition includes a late C19 two-storey canted
bay window and an early C19 two-and-a-half storey gabled bay
which has tripartite windows at ground and 1st floors and a
Venetian window which has blind outer lights and intersecting
tracery in the centre, and breaks into the pediment of the
INTERIOR: entrance hall has Venetian-style panelled and glazed
screens to rear and left, with fluted pilasters, moulded
architraves with fluted keystones, and 2-light stained glass
Listing NGR: SD4686859021
Other nearby listed buildings