This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0427 / 54°2'33"N
Longitude: -2.8031 / 2°48'11"W
OS Eastings: 347506
OS Northings: 461044
OS Grid: SD475610
Mapcode National: GBR 8PVP.XK
Mapcode Global: WH846.XNC5
Entry Name: Lancaster Canal Basin Bridge (Number 98)
Listing Date: 30 November 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194963
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383030
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Scotforth West
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761SE ALDCLIFFE ROAD
1685-1/8/1 (East side (off))
30/11/70 Basin Bridge (No.98)
(Formerly Listed as:
Roving bridge. c1797. Designed by John Rennie (engineer). For
the Lancaster Canal Company. Coursed squared sandstone.
Concave on plan, with slightly battered abutments.
Semi-elliptical arch with triple keystone, a band above, and
parapets with rounded coping. The western parapet has been
raised, and its central section stepped up. The north corner
of the east side of the arch still retains a cast-iron rubbing
strip to protect the masonry from erosion by tow-ropes.
HISTORY: built to carry the towpath from the western to the
eastern bank of the canal so as to avoid the coal wharves
approx 100m to the east. Now the only unaltered roving bridge
over the main Preston-Tewitfield section of the Lancaster
Listing NGR: SD4750661044
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings