This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0421 / 54°2'31"N
Longitude: -2.804 / 2°48'14"W
OS Eastings: 347450
OS Northings: 460979
OS Grid: SD474609
Mapcode National: GBR 8PVP.RS
Mapcode Global: WH846.WNYM
Entry Name: Lancaster Canal Old Boathouse on East Side of Canal Approximately 100 Metres West of Basin Bridge
Listing Date: 30 November 1970
Last Amended: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194965
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383032
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Scotforth West
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD46SE ALDCLIFFE ROAD
1685-1/1/3 (East side (off))
30/11/70 Old Boathouse on east side of Canal,
approx. 100m west of Basin Bridge
(Formerly Listed as:
Old Boathouse on Canal at Aldcliffe
Boathouse and repair workshop, now roofless. c1833, repaired
and consolidated c1991. For the Lancaster Canal Company.
Roughly coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings.
Basically rectangular plan. 2 storeys and 7 bays, built at
right angles to the canal around a narrow basin (now silted
The bay nearest to the canal is splayed outwards to the left
to facilitate the passage of boats through a wide full-height
entry, off-set to the left. In both side walls the
ground-floor openings are irregular, but the 1st floors have 7
windows, which originally had 42 panes. Both floors of the
left-hand side wall have, in the middle bay, a doorway with a
recess for a sliding door. Between the storeys in each side
wall is a row of 13 narrow slots, through which beams were
inserted to support boats and a working platform during
HISTORY: built for the accommodation and repair of the fast
packet boats 'Waterwitch' and 'Swiftsure', which were
supplemented in 1835 by 'Swallow' and in 1839 by 'Crewdson'.
These operated a service between Preston and Kendal (57 miles
in seven and a quarter hours) from 1833 to 1842, and from
Lancaster to Kendal until 1846, in competition with the stage
coach. This item is a unique feature of the Lancaster Canal.
(Lancaster City Museums Local Studies: White A: Fast Packet
Boats on the Lancaster Canal: Lancaster).
Listing NGR: SD4745060979
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings