History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Lodge to Former Aldcliffe Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0367 / 54°2'12"N

Longitude: -2.8116 / 2°48'41"W

OS Eastings: 346941

OS Northings: 460384

OS Grid: SD469603

Mapcode National: GBR 8PTR.2Q

Mapcode Global: WH846.SSBR

Entry Name: East Lodge to Former Aldcliffe Hall

Listing Date: 18 February 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194966

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383033

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Scotforth West

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Scotforth

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD46SE ALDCLIFFE ROAD, Aldcliffe
1685-1/1/331 (West side)
18/02/70 East Lodge to former Aldcliffe Hall

II

Lodge, now house. 1827, extended mid C20. For Edward Dawson of
Aldcliffe Hall (now demolished). Squared coursed sandstone
with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with coped gables and with
kneelers carrying spike finials. Elizabethan style.
One storey and 2 bays, extended in matching style by one bay
to the right. 2 pairs of octagonal chimneys on the ridge,
between the original bays and over the original right-hand
gable. On either side of the door, under a square-headed
dripstone, is a cross-window with splayed jambs,
hollow-chamfered timber mullions and transoms, and glazing
bars forming octagonal panes surrounded by 4 diamonds. The
doorway, under a recent wooden lean-to porch, also has splayed
jambs and what may be the original door. The left-hand gable
has a single cross-window under the datestone, which is
inscribed '1827' in raised lettering.


Listing NGR: SD4694160384

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.