History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

53 and 53a, Market Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0485 / 54°2'54"N

Longitude: -2.8023 / 2°48'8"W

OS Eastings: 347569

OS Northings: 461692

OS Grid: SD475616

Mapcode National: GBR 8PWM.3G

Mapcode Global: WH846.XHRP

Entry Name: 53 and 53a, Market Street

Listing Date: 9 July 1974

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194967

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383201

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NE MARKET STREET
1685-1/7/168 (South side)
09/07/74 Nos.53 AND 53A
(Formerly Listed as:
MARKET STREET
Nos.53, 53A, 55 AND 57
John O'Gaunt Inn (55))

GV II

Two shops. c1800, altered C19 and C20. Sandstone ashlar with a
slate roof. 3 storeys and 4 bays under a cornice. The ground
floor is occupied by C20 shop fronts, but parts of a C19
timber shop front survive: to left and right are fluted Doric
columns, and the cornice above the ground floor also seems to
be of the same period. The upper storeys have glazing bar
sashes with plain reveals, of 12 panes on the 1st floor and of
9 panes with projecting stone sills on the 2nd floor. Iron tie
plates between bays on both floors are a C20 addition.
Chimneys to left and right.
HISTORY: an old photograph shows the shop front as it appeared
when the building was occupied by Fenton and Co., Silversmiths
and Ironmongers. They traded from 1855 until the 1960s.
(Brown, PW: The Changing Face of Lancaster: Lancaster: 1986-:
PL 30).


Listing NGR: SD4756961692

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.